NSEA-Retired is the ONLY retired association in Nebraska that guarantees
continuation of your NEA member benefits and NSEA services!
LOOK WHAT IS COMING UP!!
NSEA-Retired Elections Coming!
Nominations open for NSEA-Retired elections
NSEA-Retired will hold elections in March 2015. Any active member of NSEA-Retired is eligible to be nominated as a candidate for election. For NSEA Delegate Assembly and NEA Representative Assembly, nominations will be both by district and as state-wide, at-large candidates. Candidates for election must reside in the district for which they are filing for election. A map of NSEA District boundaries is found in the January 2015 issue of the NSEA-Retired Advocate. All NSEA-Retired members are eligible to run as an at-large candidate. Members may file as a district candidate, as an at-large candidate, or as both a district and an at-large candidate.
The names of candidates filing for election will be posted on this web page and updated each Friday. CLICK HERE for a list of candidates that have filed to date. Call Rebecca Smith at 1.800.742.0047 if you have any questions.
One District Director for the Board of Directors from Metro District for a three-year term (beginning August 15, 2015) will be elected.
CLICK HERE to download a nomination form for Metro District Director.
Seventeen delegates to NSEA Delegate Assembly (held in Lincoln on April 24-25, 2015) will be elected as follows:
- Metro District, 5 delegates;
- Capitol District, 4 delegates;
- Tri-Valley District, 3 delegates;
- Elkhorn District, 2 delegates;
- Panhandle District, 1 delegate;
- Sandhills District, 1 delegate;
- and one state-wide, at-large delegate.
CLICK HERE to download a nomination form for NSEA Delegate Assembly.
Five delegates to NEA Representative Assembly (held in Orlando, FL on July 1-6, 2015) will be elected as follows:
- three delegates will be elected as state-wide, at-large delegates;
- one delegate will be elected from the combined memberships of Capitol, Elkhorn, Panhandle, Sandhills and Tri-Valley Districts;
- and one delegate will be elected from Metro District.
- Candidates may file as a district candidate, an at-large candidate, or as both a district and an at-large candidate.
CLICK HERE to download a nomination form for NEA Representative Assembly.
All Nominations are due by Friday, February 6, 2015. Candidates for NSEA-Retired Board of Directors and NEA Representative Assembly must also submit a biography of no more than 50 words.
Call Rebecca Smith at 1.800.742.0047 if you have any questions.
Register now for NSEA-Retired Lobby Day!
Tuesday, February 3, 2015
NSEA-Retired Lobby Day is set to begin at 8:15 a.m. on Tuesday, February 3, 2015 in the 4th floor Board Room at NSEA Headquarters, 605 S. 14th Street, Lincoln. NSEA Government Relations staff will provide an overview of important legislation for 2015, and will give tips on how to lobby your Senator. A special training on how to lobby your Senator will take place for first-time participants at 8:30 a.m.
NSEA-Retired members will go to the Legislature following the training to talk with their Senators about various bills that are important to both NSEA and NSEA-Retired.
The agenda for Lobby Day is:
- 8:15 Registration and coffee
- 8:30 First-time lobbyist training (on 3rd floor)
- 9:00 Issues awareness training
- 10:15 Observe Unicameral and visit with Senators
- 12:00 Lunch in NSEA 4th floor Board Room; Sen. Galen Hadley, guest speaker
- 1:30 Celebration of 30th Anniversary of NSEA-Retired
There is no fee for members to attend Lobby Day. Non-members and guests are asked to pay $10 to cover the costs of the program (payment will be collected the morning of Lobby Day). CLICK HERE to download the registration form.
The registration deadline to attend Lobby day and the luncheon is Friday, January 30, 2015. You can also register by calling Rebecca Smith at 1.800.742.0047. We have arranged for parking at Trinity Lutheran Church, 12th and H Streets, about three blocks from the Capitol. Please use the east side of the lot and do not park in spaces marked, “Reserved.”
Spring conference – Save the date!
Our spring conference will be held on April 23, 2015 at St. Benedicts Center near Schuyler.
Details will be posted on this web page in March 2015.
Intergenerational Project is scheduled.
Health Insurance and Medicare
Health insurance options for retirees younger than 65
NSEA-Retired cooperated with Educators Health Alliance (EHA), Blue Cross of Nebraska, and Union Bank of Lincoln in the fall of 2014 to bring information about the new health care options available to members under the age of 65.
The options available from EHA for retirees under age 65 are:
- $750 deductible PPO plan (the default plan for retirees);
- $1,650 deductible PPO plan;
- $3,100 high deductible health plan (HDHP) that is eligible for a Health Savings Account; and
- $4,000 high deductible health plan (HDHP) that is eligible for a Health Savings Account
Union Bank of Lincoln offers low-fee Health Savings Accounts for NSEA-Retired members younger than 65 who sign up for either the $3,100 HDHP or the $4,000 HDHP insurance plans through EHA. To sign up for the Union Bank low-fee Health Savings Account, visit the EHA web site, www.ehaplan.org, click on the "RETIREE INFO" link at the top of the web page, then click on the Union Bank information link at the bottom of the page. Follow the directions on the Union Bank web site to apply for a Health Savings Account with Union Bank. Be sure to select “employer sponsored” and then enter "Educators Health Alliance" as your employer, and "Retired" as your occupation as you fill out the form in order to get the low-fee Health Savings Account from Union Bank.
You can download the presentations from these seminars and view the presentations on your home computer. The files are all pdf files, so you don't need any special software to view the presentations. When you download the presentations, you will see some arrows at the top of the presentation files. Just click on the "down arrow" to move through the slides for the presentations.
An explanation of the benefits provided by the four EHA plans available to retirees younger than 65 can be found in video webinars that are available on the EHA web site, www.ehaplan.org. Click on the “RETIREE INFO” link at the top of the page to find the video presentations.
Pre-65 retirees insurance options for 2014-2015
- To download the NSEA-Retired guide to Health Insurance after you retire Click #1.
- To download the Blue Cross presentation and on new EHA retiree options and the Union Bank presentation on health savings accounts Click #2.
- To download the NSEA-Retired presentation on how to sign up for a Health Savings Account Click #3.
- To download the Frequently Asked Questions about Health Savings Accounts and High Deductible Health Plans Click #4.
Medicare coverage for members age 65 and older
NSEA-Retired endorses NSEA-Retired BlueSenior Classic as the Medicare supplement to accompany your Medicare coverage. NSEA-Retired BlueSenior Classic is underwritten by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Nebraska and pays for the deductible and co-payment amounts that Medicare does not cover. NSEA-Retired BlueSenior Classic has an optional dental plan that provides PPO dental coverage through the Blue Cross network of providers. If you decline the dental coverage when you first enroll, you will not be allowed to enroll in the dental plan at a later time.
Medicare information seminars were held in various locations around the state in the fall of 2014 to bring details about Medicare to our members. You can download the presentations from these seminars and view the presentations on your home computer. The files are all pdf files, so you don't need any special software to view the presentations. When you download the presentations, you will see some arrows at the top of the presentation files. Just click on the "down arrow" to move through the slides for the presentations.
Medicare for 2015
- To download the guide prepared by NSEA-Retired about making the transition to Medicare, Click #5
- To download a guide to Medicare Basics prepared by NSEA-Retired Click #6
- To download an introduction to Medicare Part D for 2015 Click #7
- To download the Blue Cross guide to the benefits provided through NSEA-Retired BlueSenior Classic Medicare Supplement Click #8
- To see the rates for NSEA-Retired BlueSenior Classic for 2015, Click #9
Remember, if you decline dental coverage when you first enroll in NSEA-Retired BlueSenior Classic, you will not be able to add the dental coverage later. Premiums are effective January 1, 2015 through December 31, 2015.
If you need an application packet for NSEA-Retired BlueSenior Classic, please call Blue Cross at 800-562-6394 to request one.
Only NSEA-Retired BlueSenior Classic offers dental coverage as part of the Medicare Supplement. Be sure to ask for the policy by name: NSEA-Retired BlueSenior Classic.
John Jensen, webmaster